Using the right tool for the job is no exception when it comes to powder coating. It is difficult to powder coat a part properly with the wrong control devices. Therefore it is important to use the best-suited powder gun tips to control and direct the flow of powder as it leaves the tip of the gun.
The flat spray pattern device has gained popularity in the last 20 years. This device attaches to the gun tip and focuses the powder into a flat or fan-shaped pattern. This aims the powder into specific areas with pinpoint accuracy. The flat spray tip also produces a higher powder velocity than the deflector tip, allowing the powder to penetrate recessed areas easier. The distance between the gun and the part along with the size of the slot in the nozzle control the size of the pattern.
Flat spray nozzle effects on powder cloud:
- Develops flat rather than conical spry pattern
- Typically covers a smaller spray area
- Heavier build in the center of the spray pattern
- Concentrates more powder into recesses
- The higher powder velocity can blow powder off the part producing insufficient wrap.
- Less forgiving than the defector tip
Taking time to examine your application methods and investing in pattern control devices will pay off with improved coating efficiency and product quality, saving you time and money.
Please contact us today to speak with one of our professional service technicians. We can help you with application questions or any of your powder coating needs.